I spent a lot of time browsing different wikis for this Thing since I will be creating a personal inquiry wiki for this class. I learned that "wiki wiki" means fast in Hawaiian, and I learned that there are a lot of wikis out there for librarians and for teachers. The only wiki I was really familiar with before this Thing was Wikipedia, which I use as a quick reference, but never as a source I can cite in an assignment for school.
I remember when I first heard of the concept of Wikipedia, I thought that it was probably a bad idea to let just anyone edit it and add to it. After all, how can real people be trusted not to post things that are false/plain stupid? In the Wiki World podcast by Meredith Farkas from Norwich University, I thought it was interesting that she said she didn't really have to police her wiki after she had enough contributors, because the people would police themselves by removing spam, vandalism or mistakes. In my search I found a couple ESL teacher wikis that might be helpful to me when I start to create my own wiki.
No comments:
Post a Comment